This morning, I woke up to a bit of Shakespeare and if there's ever a man whose work you'd like to wake up to you can't do much better than that. Kenneth Branagh's screen adaptation of 'Much ado about nothing' was on, with its all-star cast and wit from the wordsmith himself. While my foggy brain was trying to work its way through the old-English/witty words fencing with one another between characters – I was reminded of the simplest lesson of it all, everything is not always as bad as it seems. As I'm stressing through all the things I have to do…from closing out at work, to letting strangers into my home (the latest catastrophe being one said stranger plugged my toilet and I had a 10:45 emergency run to Target for cleaning supplies which makes this entire passage about Shakespeare seem like it just visited a trailer park), to finally recognizing the obvious and bringing my moving boxes from my car to my apartment to FINALLY start packing (I was really hoping to be granted Mary Poppins' magic to make the job a game)…and the rest of the madness, there's blessing hidden underneath it all.
I'm finding things I'd thought lost in the rubble that is my apartment, photos of friends I haven't seen in a long time – a reason to remind myself to reach out, I'm seeing the blessing of knowing that as I'm leaving I have so many people to say farewell to or at least aloha, I like mixing my hellos with my goodbyes, it leaves me with something to look forward to. One of my favorite lines from the entire play is this, "the most peaceable way for you if you do take a thief, is to let him show himself what he is and steal out of your company." So I shall let these worries expose themselves and steal themselves from my mind. In all this I'm finding my great fondness of 'things' is hollow indeed because I've found little of value or worth among them all…my photos I shall keep, the memories of the travels, the people and experiences; all small pocket-able things. I now wonder why I've spent so much time amassing the rest. Perhaps this will be a game after all, to find out how much I can pass along, how much I can throw away, and how much I can pocket - to hold close, for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment