Ok, so a gem of KC so far is the city market. This is a 24/7 year round indoor/outdoor market place bustling – and I mean bustling – with diverse treats and people. From the musicians playing everything from cover classics to bluegrass, or the tweens busting out Glee inspired hits on guitar accompanied by an enthusiastic drummer. You’ll find everything that is entertaining, homegrown and down home here. I instantly fell in love and wanted to stay there all day. I love Farmer’s Markets, it’s the inner farmer/former 4-H girl in me – yes people, I used to wake up at 5 a.m. to milk goats before getting ready to go to school – there’s something wonderfully wholesome and independent about people growing something from their homes and allowing the masses to come, poke, prod, and taste before bringing home to enjoy at their tables.
We’re having a Labor Day BBQ tomorrow at our hotel and I know the corn, homemade (just this morning) apple pie, ribs and watermelon we bought today at the market will make everyone feel a little closer to home – bringing all of us “strangers” together. Apparently, this marketplace is a centerpiece for entertainment and we happened to stumble across an amazing coffeehouse there – try the latte – navigate the winding/narrow staircase to the top floor seating area at your own pace and definitely take a stroll over to the Italian Deli – fresh mozzarella = yum – on your way out with your coffee. If I could take something from here and bring it home with me – this place would be it. I’ve included some pictures – taken with my iPhone so I apologize for the quality – of the market. I will definitely be going back, it is especially nice to note that the artists and farmers are willing to take special orders, as one enterprising artist, of custom stepping stones and license plate signs/designs, told me “let me know by Wednesday what you’d like…I’ll have it ready by Saturday”…how great is that?! :)
The entrance to the City Market downtown!
No comments:
Post a Comment